Why Buy Organic?
Why should you choose to buy organic products? Most advocates feel that organic farming produces food that is healthy for the consumer and the environment. Organic farmers look at the farming as a holistic system.
- Organic systems feed the soil, not just the plant.
- Organic farmers use manures, compost, rotations, and legume crops to build soil organic matter and fertility.
- Pest control is done with beneficial insects, crop rotations and maintaining healthy plants.
- Weed control is done with crop rotations, variety choices, beneficial insects, grazing and cultivation.
- Organic farms tend to be smaller and medium sized family farms.
- Organic farmers are preserving diverse seed genetics by saving and using their own seeds, often heritage and open pollinated varieties.
Every time you buy something, you vote. When you buy organic food products, you vote for all of the benefits listed above. Buying organic supports
- family farms.
- sustainable systems.
- a diverse farm landscape.
- healthy wildlife and healthy watersheds.
- healthy people through healthy food.